Skip to content

The hidden dangers of cat brushes that mist and steam

comments

Misty brush cat brush steamy brush dangers

In the pet industry there’s no limit to the choices we have when it comes to brushes.

One type of trending pet brush on the market today are cat brushes that incorporate water for pet grooming, such as those designed to dispense water during brushing. If your cat is tolerant to being sprayed while brushed it may not be happy about knowing the risks! Misting brushes can potentially pose mold issues if they're not properly cleaned and maintained.

When dealing with mold exposure, pets unfortunately get sicker than humans after being exposed to virulent fungal spores making brushes that contain water a higher risk than others. Our pets smaller body sizes and less advanced immune systems make them more susceptible to mold related conditions which means even slight exposure to mold can be devastating to our pets.

Related Post: Why you shouldn't spray water on your cat.

How does mold affect our pets?

Mold affects pets through their coat or skin which has the potential to trap spores and make it difficult for your pet to get rid of them. Animals may also accidentally ingest mold spores while grooming which can cause difficulties for their gastrointestinal tract.

Why are misting brushes a risk to cats and dogs?

Moisture Retention

Brushes with water reservoirs retain moisture and can create a favorable environment for mold growth. If the brush is not adequately dried between use or if water remains stagnant in the reservoir these mold spores may proliferate.

Difficulty in Drying

Brushes with water components may be challenging to dry thoroughly because of their design, especially in areas that are not well-ventilated. The persistent dampness can encourage mold formation over time.

Mold Allergens

Mold can release spores into the air or directly onto your pet. If the brush harbors mold, it may expose both the pet and the owner to mold allergens during grooming sessions.

Potential Health

Risks Mold exposure can lead to respiratory issues and allergic reactions in pets. Pets with a predisposition to allergies or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to mold.

How can we protect our pets from brushes with mold?

If you are using a misting brush or a brush with water components, here’s what you should do to minimize the risk of mold issues:

Thorough Cleaning

Regularly clean the brush, paying attention to both the bristles and any water reservoir components. Use pet-safe cleaning solutions to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria.

Inspect for Mold

Periodically inspect the brush for any signs of mold or mildew. If you notice any discoloration, foul odor, or visible mold, it's essential to clean the brush thoroughly and consider discarding it if you are unable to clean it properly.

Get a different brush

If you're concerned about the potential for mold growth, consider using an alternative that’s safer and doesn’t involve water components. Fortunately, using water as an aid to grip and pull out all fur isn't really necessary, in fact, it really does more harm than good. It might look impressive, but so is a good brush. A brush that can be sanitized will protect your pet from any risks of brush mold. Brushes made of single materials and are plastic free will also be easier to clean and maintain.

 

Ensure you're purchasing a quality patented product from a real business, and when in doubt, ensure you're reading real reviews on that product.

Our best advice is to weigh your options when purchasing a brush for your pet to avoid the worst case scenarios. The quality and design is more important than you may think! 

Comments 

No comments

Leave a comment
Your Email Address Will Not Be Published. Required Fields Are Marked *